Bed Bug Self Inspection Tips
Bed bugs were given their name because they are most typically found in the bedroom hiding in bedding, mattresses and box springs as well as bed frames, headboards, night stands and dressers. Here are some helpful tips to help you identify bed bugs in your bedroom or hotel room:
- Remove the sheets, checking for blood spots. (Dried feces appear as dark spots and stains. Engorged bed bugs leave reddish-brown colored blood smears when crushed.)
- Using a flashlight, inspect the mattress paying close attention to the seams and inspect inside and under the box spring.
- Check any head and foot boards as well as anything stored under the bed.
- Check inside all drawers, crevices, and narrow spaces. Look under electronics, behind pictures, and in stacks of clothing
- When traveling, consider leaving your luggage outside the room or in bath tub while inspecting room and keeping suitcases off the floor and bed during your stay.
- Inspect you luggage carefully when packing to leave.
- For extra precaution, consider washing your clothes in hot water and drying for at least 20 minutes on high to ensure any hitchhiker bed bugs are killed.
In addition to the bedroom, bed bugs like to hide out in the following spots:
- Lamps, clocks, telephones
- Flooring, carpets, baseboards and wood trim
- Curtains and upholstery
- Wallpaper and picture frames
- Electrical switches and outlets
- Sofas or chairs
Bed Bug Inspection
Or call (207) 795-1100